Wildcats Thunder Executive Moderator
The Cats won there 2nd straight bowl game for the 1st time since the 1950's tonight over FSU 35-28. The way UK played today had both it's up's and downs. Here are some of the things that I noticed.
1. Our Defense played outstanding I thought. Our D-Line got penetration almost every time Weatherford dropped back in the pocket and gave him a fit and hit him in the mouth all night long. Corey Peters dropped back into coverage and got his first career INT. Just great D-Line play today I thought.
Our Secondary play was good as well. The didn't give up hardly any deep balls to FSU's good receivers, except for the pass that got reversed for a TD to Carr(FSU receiver that is 6'6) over David Jones. That play was pretty suspect but I believe the ref's decision was correct by reversing the call. Paul Warford played great today. He came up with some big stops all game for us in the secondary.
Our Linebacker play was also pretty good as well. Wesley Woodyard and Braxton Kelley was all over the place tonight and hitting everybody. Wesley led the team in tackles with 15 total(9 solo's and 6 assists). Micah Johnson got some pretty nice tackles for us on some key downs at the end of the game, he also got an INT and returned it back 24 yards but then had it stripped away and FSU recovered it back and retained possession.
Sure we gave up 21 on Defense(FSU ran that INT back for a TD on Woodson for 7 but that was on the Offense) so really take away the FSU INT return for 7 away we only gave up 21. But they didn't come easy for FSU. We had some good stands on the goal line and deep in out own territory. We played really aggressive on D and we played well I thought on this side of the ball.
2. We turned the ball over to many times. Rafael Little committed and lost 2 fumbles. Woodson threw a INT that got ran back for a TD, Micah Johnson had a big INT but turned it over on the return.
We also had some fumbles that we recovered luckily and retained possession. Woodson fumbled a snap early in the game but had it recovered by one of our O-Linemen(can't remember who it was at this moment) and Tony Dixon fumbled once but we recovered it and retained possession.
You can't turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win every time. Luckily we were able to pull it out against a depleted but very very very tough FSU team with all of our turnovers.
3. Rafael had a great game running the football. He finished with 152 yards on 28 carries but with 1 carry for 54 yards called back on a cherry picking call on Stevie Johnson a long way behind the play. He also had 50 receiving yards off of 8 catches. He was all over the place today but the only wrinkle in his performance today was the 2 fumbles he lost. He had 212 all purpose yards today with his 152 rushing, 50 receiving, and a 10 yard punt return. He played his heart out today and played really well.
Woodson went 32-50 for 358 yards, 4 TD's and 1 INT. He really hit our receivers and placed the ball well with the exception of a couple of overthrown ball to Burton and Tamme.
Stevie Johnson led the way receiving with 7 catches for 124 yards with 2 TD, he came up huge for us today like he has all season long. Burton finished with 7 catches for 56 yards. Dicky Lyons finished with 5 catches for 78 yards. Jacob Tamme finished with 3 catches for 35 yards and 1 TD. All of our receivers played great tonight and Woodson got them the ball well.
FSU was depleted of players but I have to give them some praise. They came out and played tough and with a lot of heart. Some people thought they didn't deserve to be in a bowl game and I believe they proved everyone wrong.
So,back to UK, as you can see our performance had both it's up's and downs today and luckily we were able to come out with a victory over a depleted but very very tough FSU football team.
Coach Brooks and his coaching staff has done a tremendous job the past couple of years in bring us back from the ashes and resurrecting our football program. I could not be any more proud to be a UK football fan!
Thank you Seniors on a having a great career and bringing our football program back to life these last 4 years. This is the best group of Seniors in the country IMHO and we were lucky to have you all!
I couldn't be any more proud of all that they have accomplished and I couldn't be any more proud to be a UK football fan!
Thank you Seniors and you will be missed!
- Kentucky vs. Florida State Post-Game Quotes
- Kentucky vs. Florida State Post-Game Notes
- Kentucky vs Florida St Photo Gallery
- Kentucky vs Florida St Highlights-ESPN Video
- Download the Music City Bowl Champions Desktop Wallpaper
- Woodson leads UK to victory in second consecutive Music City Bowl
- FIRST BACK-TO-BACK BOWL WINS SINCE '51, '52