Sunday, October 30, 2016

Transcript: Clarion Head Coach Marcess Williams UK 108 vs Clarion 51 Exhibition Post Comments

Clarion Head Coach Marcess Williams UK 108 vs Clarion 51 Exhibition Post Comments

“Well, they’re as good as advertised. They’re really long and really athletic. We knew we were coming down here and playing against five or six potential pros. So, we just wanted to kind of come down here and bring our stuff, execute our stuff and get better, and I thought we were able to do some of that. Second half, I thought we kind of readjusted and got our legs back under us and were able to do some things, but they were able to take us out of some stuff. We thought they might deny the pass lanes a little bit more, but they really didn’t. They were really climbing in us with the guy with the basketball. They were, like I said, as good as advertised. They were really long and really talented, and really warranted all the hype. 

On his thoughts on Isaiah Briscoe’s play…
“Yeah, I glanced at the stats before. Eleven assists – that’s special when you’ve got one of your lead guards that could distribute the ball that well. I know there’s been a lot of talk about his jump shot. You know, I always tell my guys, ‘If you shoot it, shoot it, but shoot it because you want to shoot it.’ And he shot a couple shots tonight that he looked comfortable and confident. I thought he was strong. He’s a really good player, you know what I mean? And he’s just really physical for a point guard. I think that kind of separates him from most point guards. But with him and (De’Aaron) Fox in the back court… That’s a great combination.”

On what he thinks of Isaiah Briscoe, Malik Monk and De’Aaron Fox all playing together…
“I was expecting Monk to start. So when he didn’t, they went a little bigger than we thought. But they’re super talented. It allows them to play a little more full-court. I’ve been watching Cal coach over the years, especially with the connection with Clarion and everything. I’d seen in the preseason that they were going back to the dribble drive, so I knew right away he felt comfortable with his guards that he went back to his dribble drive offense that they ran several years ago. Like I said, they’re explosive. I mean, they really get out and challenge you a little bit more than they have been since (John) Wall, (Eric) Bledsoe and those guys. They’re tough. Those three guys on the floor, I think they’re all three first-round draft picks.

On his thoughts on Kentucky early in the season…
“It’s tough because I know we all start around the same time, but the resources they have you can kind of progress your players a little quicker than a Division II or Division III school. We kind of didn’t know how far along those freshmen would be. Them being 18 years old, I thought that was one of our only advantages coming into the game, that we had some older guys. We didn’t know what their bodies would be like, but when you walk through the practice facility, you see a state-of-the-art this, and a state-of-the-art that. There’s no reason why those freshmen can’t progress quicker. I mean, that’s what it is. They’re ready to play. If the SEC started tomorrow, you know they’re going to be able to compete for a championship.”

On what he thinks of UK’s potential to be an up-tempo, transition team…
“In my past, I always kind of look at championship teams as being able to play in different ways. To win a championship, you’ve got to be able to do a little bit of both. Like the gentleman said earlier, when you put those three guards on the floor that makes you one of the most athletic back courts in the country. But then you go and put Bam (Adebayo), and my favorite is (Wenyen) Gabriel, I love that kid. That kid, he might be the best one of them all. So, you get long all of the sudden, and you get big. You can put (Derek) Willis in and stretch the floor, but you don’t lose size. So, he really has the opportunity to play any kind of way against any style in the country. I mean, the sky’s the limit for Kentucky basketball right now. You’ll probably see them at the Final Four this year.”

No comments: