Sunday, November 06, 2016

Transcript: Asbury Head Coach Will Shouse Post UK 156 vs Asbury 63 Exhibition Comments

Asbury Head Coach Will Shouse Post UK 156 vs Asbury 63 Exhibition Comments

Opening statement …
“Well, I’m glad it wasn’t 100 points. It was fun, the experience we had, being a Kentucky fan. There are some things you can’t simulate in practice. The big bodies flying around, the lobs and protecting that. The system we play, that was a product of the system. I refuse to (play out of our system). It’s my fault. Could I play for us to lose by 50 or 60? Yeah, I probably could have manipulated that, maybe. I don’t know, they may have had their way with us anyway. I kept pressing, trapping and staying aggressive. I think that has to be the mindset to win the conference in our league. I’m still a fan. I’ll be back. I don’t know if I’ll have as good of a seat, but it was fun.”

On what he told his team after the game …
“That no heads should be down. We just went (against) a very good team and a team that we’ll be watching on TV for years to come, being in the NBA. We keep it simple and say we enjoyed the moment, and we have a big opening weekend tournament at our place this weekend and we’re getting ready for teams. I think it’s safe to say that we won’t see anyone like that in our league.”

On what surprised him from Kentucky …
“We play a couple other D1 schools, they’re mid-majors, and it’s always bigger, stronger, faster. This is like biggest, strongest, fastest. I thought (Mychal) Mulder shot the ball really well. He put the ball in the basket well tonight, and I know that had kind of been a question mark for them last year. I thought he looked good. Before the game, I said we’re going to put as many trap situations as possible. I thought they spilt us up. Granted, it’s us, it’s Asbury, but I wanted to put them in situations where they had to think a little bit.”

On how his team competed during the game …
“The big thing was I didn’t want them looking at the scoreboard. I just wanted them to play as hard as possible and I think they did that. They were still diving for loose balls and they were still going to rim, even though they were getting blocked and still shooting the 3. My goal was to shoot 50 3s and we shot 49. Gosh, we could have squeezed one more off, they could have given us that. In the system we run, we try and shoot 90 shots and we shot 97. I know that sounds a little silly, squeezing off shots, but that’s the way we want to play. That’s two of the five goals we want to meet and how we play. Now we’d like to make some more, but we did that. We were able to squeeze off that many shots.”

No comments: