Friday, November 11, 2016

Transcript: Miami (Fla.) Head Coach Katie Meier, Players Post UK 82 vs Miami (Fla.) 66 Comments

Miami (Fla.) Head Coach Katie Meier Post UK 82 vs Miami (Fla.) 66 Comments


Opening Statement … 
“I’m disappointed obviously with the outcome of the end of the game, but other than that it went pretty much as I expected it would. So much respect and admiration and just a really good feeling about Kentucky’s program. Matthew is someone I’ve known for a long time. The staff, I mean they’re just great people. I think the more mentally tough team won without question. They were just more mentally tough, we were trying to exhaust them, get them down on themselves, we were trying to get them on the ropes a little bit and their zone saved their legs a little bit, which was great coaching by him. We didn’t get to the free throw line, we generally make more and our goal is to make more free throws than our opponent’s attempt. Obviously we were way off on that one and I think that was kind of the story of the game. They’re going to hit 3s and we’re going to hit 3s, we weren’t hitting them, we didn’t go away from our game plan, it’s the first game of the year. There’s a lot to learn. I feel like I have a nice term paper to write tonight. It was just an unveiling for both teams and you would’ve thought that we would have an advantage late in the game with the experience that we have returning, but at the end of the game they didn’t just close the door, they slammed the door on us. And if that’s what we take from this game and it doesn’t happen to us ever again then this was a heck of a game for Miami.”

On problems with UK going to a four guard look in the last few minutes of the game…
“No we were four guards ourselves. I’m not making any excuses, but one of our nice post players that does really well against the zone is just coming back from an injury so that’s a lot of the reason why we were not getting as much in the paint as we are used to, but it wasn’t a surprise, it didn’t happen yesterday so we were prepared to be small. They had a little injury and some foul trouble too, so it’s just one of those games. I mean you’re trying to get your system in and you’re trying to look at the other team and who plays this game the first game? We do. And Kentucky does. I told my team that everyone else around the country is playing someone and winning by 50 tonight and we’re a great team and we take a loss on the road. I don’t want to lose, but winning by 50 I wouldn’t have learned what I learned tonight and we wouldn’t know what we have to fix so we’ll do it again. Albany is a great team too and they’re next and we have four straight postseason teams to open up the season because I have a veteran squad and I trust their talent and I know that we are going to be very good by the end of the year.”

On surprised by UK using so much zone…
“No, I kept saying to Coach Jackson ‘They’re going to have to play zone, they’re going to have to play zone.’ And they only thing we saw on them of for this year’s squad was the Union game and you can’t zone that team they shoot. But I was like there’s no way Matthew’s not going to play the zone. He has to and that (Emese) Hof piece missing, that’s a really good zone buster for us, we get way more touches in the paint and she’s got great size and is one of our best passers so if they’d known that too they had to. And they did a nice job, the best thing that zone did, which I was certain this would happen, we were dribbling a little too much through the zone and they did a great job of just being discipline and digging it out. So that was well coached.”

On Epps in the fourth quarter…
“I saw her over there I thought she was cramping up a little bit, we cut it to 3 and I was like look at the poor girl and then she just blistered. She blistered us. She’s tough as nails and that’s not a surprise either. I had some real compliments for her in the handshake line and she was really, really tough. Her strength was a big difference and getting her downhill one on one and some of her and-ones, even in the first half they didn’t go in, but she was generating a lot of fouls on us so she’s a very good player. Very, very good.”

On how they felt after Motley hit multiple 3s …
“I kept saying I don’t recognize you. Not to her personally but just the entire team. We came out a little bit like we were in unfamiliar territory. I think we were just a little bit, not shell shocked by any stretch of the imagination, we are used to playing on the road against ranked teams and great crowds. Just feeling it out and I said, ‘If you guys want a coach that’s just going to sit there and be a survey and be really calm and let you feel out a game you came to wrong place, that is not me. We are feisty, we are scrappy, we are tough and we play with great pace.’ We don’t do stationary shooting, everything is a run and a fill and a pass all of our shooting is with pace and as soon as we got our pace up she got a rhythm.”

Miami (Fla.) Student-Athletes


#23 Adrienne Motley, G


On what changed in the second half that made her shoot better …
“Senor year. You can’t dwell on the first half. You just have to keep going. We wanted this game and our assistant coach pulled the guards to the side and said this is what you guys are in the gym for all week and this is what you guys have been working for and you have to hit big shots and we just kept shooting and that’s what you have to do.”

No comments: