Sunday, November 27, 2016

Transcript: UK Hoops Players Evelyn Akhator, Makayla Epps, Taylor Murray Post UK Hoops 80 vs Samford 57 Comments

#13 Evelyn Akhator, Senior, F

On if she was bothered about not getting a double-double against Morehead State…
“No, I wasn’t bothered at all. I wouldn’t say that’s my goal, I just let the game come to me. Being there for my team is most important. I don’t really set goals. I just play in the moment. When it comes, it comes. When it doesn’t, it doesn’t.” 

#25 Makayla Epps, Senior, G

On what the team needs to work on defensively…
“Mainly we need to focus on finishing. Say for example half-time the score was 41-17, we will sometimes put the car in cruise and give them a little hope for coming back and that is something we can’t do. We have to top teams off period. If we beat people by 70, then I guess they’ll put us in the news for beating people by 70. Nobody ever said there was anything wrong with that. Like Coach said, it’s all about intensity. We have to want to get stops in order to get easy transition buckets. I feel like the energy and communication dropped with us being up by so much. It also gets a little confusing when we aren’t communicating and Coach has us running different defenses from zone to man. We just need to focus in and find the balance on what defense is working well for us at what time.” 

On having no complainers on the team…
“In all honesty, this is probably the most cordial, loving and caring team that I’ve been on since I’ve been here. There’s no egos, teammate issues, outside scuffling it’s all one love. We’re all on the same team and have the same mission. I told the team after the game that it’s really crazy we genuinely like each other and have a hard time communicating on the court. It blows my mind. We probably rather be in the group chat texting or something. It’s really the little things. We have a lot of people who have never been in this predicament, playing for a big D-I school against some of the best teams in the country. It’s just something different. The month of November has been really good to us. We are 5-1, and now it’s about pushing into December and progressing. Definitely no complainers.” 

#24 Taylor Murray, Sophomore, PG

On switching to zone defense this year…
“Yes, last year we played a lot of man and this year we’re doing both. So, I think communication is important and letting each other know what is going on. We have to bring intensity so we can get stops and create opportunities for our teammates.” 

On what having four playing score in double figures means for UK offensively…
“I think it is a lot of sharing the ball with one another. We are making sure to make the good pass when someone is open. We’re following our sets correctly and are making the open pass.” 

No comments: