Friday, November 11, 2016

Transcript: UK Hoops Players Makayla Epps, Evelyn Akhator, Maci Morris Post UK Hoops 82 vs Miami (Fla.) 66 Comments

UK Student-Athletes 


#25 Makayla Epps, G


On free throw shooting…
“I don’t know what happened. It’s so crazy to me, it really blows my mind. I wanted to shoot above 80. I get fouled a lot and I feel like I should be shooting at an elite level. My dad shot 80, so I have to beat him. I put a lot of work in after practice and during practice. Then I shoot them during the game, and they are rimming out, and I am literally up there losing my mind. Like what is going on? You’ve done this a million times. Even today, I was shooting them, hitting like 9 or 10 in a row. The ball just didn’t bounce my way.”

On what they learned in the third quarter when Akhator was not in the game…
“I personally learned that I love this team. I felt like crying in the film room after the game, I don’t know if I was serious or if I was joking. I still feel like crying, I don’t know, I might in a second. It’s just crazy because a lot of people counted us down and a lot of people sleep on us after the turmoil towards the end of last season. We have a lot of hard working kids. Jess Hardin saved me at the end of the half. I could’ve sworn I turned the ball over, then I look up and she makes a 3. I love it. I just ran off of the court smiling. Maci hit a 3, and Makenzie hit a 3 kind of back to back off of my assists. They make plays. These kids get their name and number called off the bench and they just come in and make plays when two of our starters are out for foul trouble. We have people that just come in and do what they have to do for the team in the time being. The two starters can come back in and the ball just keeps rolling, and it’s a really good feeling for me.” 

On the fourth quarter…
“I guess I did just start feeling it in the fourth quarter. It is just crazy how things happen sometimes. My teammates kept feeding me the ball, especially Maci, she pulled me to the side and told me not to worry about the free throws. It was just like when I told her against Union when she had a bad shooting night. She was shooting the heck out of the ball tonight. I said I don’t care if you’re 0-20, you shoot the ball. She said the same thing to me. I just have love for my teammates, and that really kept me upbeat.” 

On playing zone defense …
“We work on zone every day in practice now, and we try to make it more effective. I feel like zone really helped us tonight.”

#13 Evelyn Akhator, F


On double-double in first game of the season…
“Whoever gives me the ball, its one on one. No one caves. I shoot the ball like 30 times, I just have to keep going. Coach Mitchell always says that we have to give our best, so that is what I have to do. Just do it. They give me the ball, and I have to just do it.” 

#4 Maci Morris, G


On Epps’ performance…
“I love it. I love watching her. Epps is a great player and a great leader. I am looking forward to seeing what she does this season.”

No comments: