Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Transcript: UK Hoops Players Makayla Epps, Taylor Murray Post UK Hoops 74 vs Morehead State 47 Comments

#25 Makayla Epps, Senior, Guard

On her being emotional after the Colorado loss…

“I love this program. I’ve been here longer than anybody else on my team. I have put a lot of work and dedication into this program, so it was very emotional to lose. I’m not a sore loser, but I don’t like losing. I’m sure a lot of people don’t, but I really take it to heart. That was a game where I felt like we really shot our self in the foot. If we would have done some things differently, we could have won that game. Colorado played hard, and to lose early was devastating. Because I’m a senior, that’s one game I can’t get back. So, it made me a little emotional.”

On how she has seen Taylor Murray continue to develop…
“I don’t treat Tay as the average sophomore. She got a lot of minutes last year. Her and Maci (Morris) both got a lot of valuable minutes as freshmen. Because of that as sophomores, you can see the growth from one year to the next. It’s fun to see my teammates get out there and just score the ball in a variety of ways - especially Tay. We’re both point guards. We spend a lot of time together. We joke with each other. We sat in the locker room together for about thirty minutes. Didn’t say two words, but we were with each other. We are always around each other a lot, so to see her have a career night is really fun.”

On she was struggling with her shooting early in the game…
“I put a lot of work into my shot. We shoot a lot in practice, and to not see the ball go through the net is very frustrating. But Tay (Murray), Maci (Morris), Evelyn (Akhator) always said, ‘It’s okay Epps.” When I look over to the bench, Coach says, ‘You got it it.’ So, just as long as my teammates keep uplifting me and encouraging me, I’ll be okay. Missing shots isn’t the end of the world. As long as we win, that’s the most important thing. My stats are just my stats. Tonight was just a rough shooting night.” 

#24 Taylor Murray, Sophomore, Guard

On finding her rhythm…

“Yes, I am having a lot more confidence. I want to help my team out in any way that I can, being aggressive for them and taking the open shot when they pass me the ball.” 

On becoming a defensive leader on the team and if she takes the role seriously…
“Yes, I do. I think defense is the main key to each team. Coach says we need to get stops and push to transition. So, I think I have lived up to him giving me that role.”

No comments: