Thursday, November 17, 2016

Transcript: UK Hoops Players Makenzie Cann, Evelyn Akhator Post UK Hoops 92 vs New Hampshire 43 Comments

#22 Makenzie Cann, Junior, G/F

On if her 3-point shooting success can be attributed to the early start time … 
“Early-morning games are definitely a lot of work. I have to give a lot of credit to Coach (Kyra) Elzy specifically. She works with me every morning to get my confidence up. So, I would credit it to more of that than it being an early game.”

On if shooting for her can be better after she sees a few go in … 
“Confidence-wise, it’s good to see the ball go in.”

On how good this team can be shooting the 3 … 
“Obviously the sky is the limit if we keep putting the work in. We have a lot of 3-point threats.”

On how she’s developed her overall game… 
“Well, I definitely think it shows a big progression, because coming out of high school I was known as ‘stand up over there and shoot.’ So, it’s always been a big progression – and that’s what I’ve always wanted. That’s one of the reasons that I chose to come to UK, because I knew that Coach Mitchell believed that I could be more than a shooter and not put me in that box. So, it was definitely a big adjustment because I have never played the four, but I told them I would do whatever the team wanted, and if that’s what I have to do, then that’s what I have to do, so I just try my best to do it.”

On if she has post experience … 
“I played a little bit of post in high school, but most of everything I have learned has been from them (current UK staff). So, just knowing that I’m not as much of a big body as them and I have to be a little extra precise on my positioning. Being undersized is something that I’ve been focusing on and the coaches have been helping me with it.” 

On growing as a post player despite being undersized … 
“I think it’s just the hard work and working your butt off. I think Coach Mitchell is seeing that I’m trying my hardest and that’s all that he can ask for. 

#13 Evelyn Akhator, Senior, F

On why Coach Mitchell seems relaxed on the sidelines now … 
“I think that’s probably because during the summer we really put in the work. He has much more confidence seeing us work so hard on our game during the summer. Seeing us be so hungry, I think that’s one reason why he’s more relaxed. He will still get in our face during practice, but he just has the confidence in us that we can do it.”

On becoming a more complete player this season … 
“I talked to him and the coaching staff. I told them before the season that this is what I really want. As much as they keep talking to me about my offense, I want to keep worrying about my defense, especially the fouls. He (Coach Mitchell) actually made me have much more confidence and also Coach (Lin) Dunn, Coach (Kyra) Elzy. They believed in me, that I could do much better. I have to have the attitude of playing relaxed and not being in a hurry. That really helps me. Also my team – especially Makayla (Epps). She always gets on me if I make one mistake. She’ll always say it’s OK, because she doesn’t want me to go negative. The team and the coaching staff have really helped me.”

No comments: