Friday, November 11, 2016

Video/Transcript: UK Players Isaiah Briscoe, De’Aaron Fox, Derek Willis Post UK 87 vs Stephen F. Austin 64 Comments

#13, Isaiah Briscoe, Sophomore, G


On how this game prepares the team for the rest of the season …
“This was a good game for us. They were physical and older. We are going to face a lot of tough teams during SEC play and we have to get better on defense. Coach (Calipari) spoke about that. We have practice tomorrow and we have to go in, work hard and get better.”

On sharing the basketball … 
“I think this is an unselfish team. We all play for each other and that is what is going to take us to the next level.”

On how UK played defensively …
“Defensively, I think we did okay. There is always room for improvement. Coach (Calipari) watches the whole game and sees it from a different perspective. He said we need to get a lot better on defense and that will be one of the key things we work on tomorrow at practice.”

On how to get better defensively …
“Covering for each other, talking on defense, things like that are crucial. He stresses defense so much because if we play good defense we can get stops and we can score in transition. That’s when we play our best, so we have to get better on defense. We don’t even worry about offense, because that will take care of itself.”  

On how it feels to start his second season …
“It felt good. I think I played well. I had a lot of unforced turnovers, so I just have to be smarter with the ball.”  

On veteran play …
“Before the game Coach always reminds us that we have a lot of young guys. He tells us it’s their first game and we have to make sure that everything is in order to help them transition into this kind of play.” 

#0, De’Aaron Fox, Freshman, G


On setting a UK record his first game …
“I didn't even realize I was doing it. I know I wasn't shooting the ball well. My teammates were cutting and finishing when I was passing it to them so all the credit is to them.” 

On playing with another point guard like Isaiah Briscoe …
“It makes it easier for me because I'm throwing it to another guy who can make plays. I don't always have to be the one to be a playmaker. He's taught me how to do what Cal wants correctly.”

On leading the team in assists while Briscoe led in points, and if that can be switched in future games …
“It can be switched easily. Anyone can lead in assists and anyone can definitely lead in scoring because we have so many different ways to score. That’s just how it happened today, and in any upcoming day it can be flip-flopped.”

On how the veterans kept the game steady for the younger guys …
“They just make sure we don't get rattled. As a point guard I’m just trying to develop that trait where I won’t let my team get rattled. Derek (Willis) came out showed what a senior is supposed to do. He put up points and got comfortable, which helped us get comfortable.”

#35, Derek Willis, Senior, F


On his performance tonight … 
“I think there were about three or four possessions, probably even more, where I didn’t come up with defensive rebounds. I let them get by me. I wasn’t too happy about that, but it’s the first game of the year – season opener. We’ll just try to work out what we can and learn from our mistakes ” 

On how he played offensively …
“Yeah, that was good. That stuff works itself out. I think what we need to get done is on the defensive end. We executed most of our plays for the most part, but communication and defensive mishaps we just need to work on and keep moving forward.”

On working on not rebounding vs. shooting …
“They just cancel each other out in a sense. Come up with the rebound and that’s an extra possession for the team and an extra two or three more points potentially. To me, it’s almost like I scored like five points instead of whatever. I just need to be a more efficient rebounder.”  

On how he’s seen himself mature in practice and as a leader …
“It’s my senior year and I want to make the most of it. I come in an hour or so before practice and stretch out and shoot around a little bit. I work out with KP (Kenny Payne), which all the big guys do. I set out and practice what I want to do for the day. I think what I’m going to start doing though is work on some kind of rebounding drill or getting more physical with somebody because I just feel like with how I rebounded tonight it’s something I need to improve on.” 

No comments: