Monday, November 21, 2016

Video/Transcript: UK Players Mychal Mulder, Malik Monk, Bam Adebayo Post UK 93 vs Duquesne 59 ~ Bluegrass Showcase Comments

MYCHAL MULDER

On how he thought he played …
“I think I was productive with my minutes. I think I could have rebounded better in the second half. I was thinking about that. But defensively I think I was solid. Still an area I’m working on.”

On if he thinks there’s a spot in the rotation for him if he can knock down 3-pointers …
“I hear a lot about this, about us struggling from deep. I’m not sure if that’s really going to be a problem of ours. I feel like a lot of our guards can shoot the ball. But that does open a little bit of a door for me if it does continue to go that way knowing that I can knock down shots when needed to. That’s important. As long as I continue to play defense and rebound the ball I think I’ll be fine.”

On what Coach Cal specifically wants him to work on defensively …
“He just wants me to be tough, be defensively confident. He says that there’s a confidence with offense as well as defense. I just need to keep upping that and keep rebounding the ball.”

On if there’s more pressure when Coach Cal says he needs to play him more to see what he can do …
“No, no, there’s no pressure. I definitely wouldn’t say it’s pressure. Cal is giving me an opportunity. I’ve been here awhile. Just been patient, just kind of trying to work my way into the rotation for awhile now. I appreciate him trying to give me an opportunity.”

On it taking a year for a junior college transfer to get comfortable in the system …
“Yeah, I feel comfortable now. Just having that year under my belt has been real productive for me. I don’t know if it’s just JUCO. I think transferring anywhere there will probably be a little bit of a learning curve – new coach, new system. I feel like I got that learning curve behind me now.”

On how big offensive rebounding is a part of his game …
“I think that’s huge. Just being active on offensive as well as defensive glass. Always trying to rebound the ball as a big guard. I feel like I can make an impact that way. As long as I can help the team that way I’ll continue to do that.”

On how big of a weapon their depth is compared to the other weapons they have on their team …
“Depth is really good. I feel like we have a deep bench. We have a lot of guys we can go to at times. When someone’s not getting it going early I feel like there’s always someone, next guy up, who’s ready to go. Depth is definitely a weapon of ours. I definitely feel like that.”

On how he stays in the mode after he misses a few shots …
“I’m not really worried about missing some shots. I feel like the ones I miss should have went in. They felt good. Shooters keep shooting. I know that’s a role I play on this team is to shoot the ball. I turned down one I think and I heard him yell at me to shoot it. It’s not a lack of confidence, I just kept shooting the ball.”

MALIK MONK

On what the learning process is like with so many options on the team …
“It’s crazy that we all fit in right now. We’re not being selfish. It’s crazy that we can do that. We’re all good players. It’s hard to learn like that. To take every shot and then to not take that many shots and give it up to your teammates. But we’re doing anything to win.”

On having fun watching his teammates succeed …
“Oh, of course. Of course. Whenever my teammates are being successful or having fun, I’m having fun. Whatever they do, I’m going to be happy with them.”

On if he thinks its demoralizing for opposing teams when UK has so many options …
“I think it would be. I think teams hate that. But that’s why we’re so special and why we can be so special.”

On forcing the ball into the paint …
“We’ve been forcing it since day one because we have so many bigs. We’ve just been trying to do that, but it’s hard to give up shots like that. But it’s my teammates so I’m just trying to do whatever to help him too.”

On Coach Cal saying Adebayo is getting closer and closer to breaking out …
“Like Cal said before, I was getting ready for my breakout game and it happened against Michigan State. I think Bam’s is coming up because he feels more comfortable in the post. We’re passing him the ball more. I think it’s coming close.”

On their confidence in Mulder …
“We have a lot of confidence in him because he’s been making a lot of shots in practice, and we know he can make shots in the game. We have a lot of confidence in him. We know he’s going to work hard every time he gets in.”

BAM ADEBAYO

On not letting down after Michigan State …
“We’re just coming together closer as the season goes on. We’re just coming more as brothers than we usually are and we’re fighting together.”

On forcing post touches in practice …
“Just making the guards throw it in even though they have open shots. They still have to throw it in. It’s just us getting comfortable with them and they’re getting comfortable with us.”

On how much he enjoys that …
“You know I’m fine with it.”

On working on his post moves …
“I’m just going to practice every day and working with KP (Kenny Payne) in individuals. Just getting my body comfortable with the hooks and just having fun.”

On whether it feels good to see a left-handed hook shot fall …
“Yeah, because it’s not my dominant hand. So it’s good to use it once in a while.”

On what Payne has him do …
“Fifty dunks with a medicine ball. We’ve run—he makes us run suicides one day. He’s just hard on us. He has his ways and it’s working for us. So I’m not complaining.”

On whether that’s every day …
“Certain days he just gets his ways and gets that mean streak.”

On what he’s learned about positioning …
“I’m just working with KP, getting my positioning right. How my body should be when they throw me the ball in the post.”

On why he was trying to get such deep post position …
“You just pick up a habit. Cal says create new ones, so that’s what I did.”

On liking when teams play them physical …
“We thrive on that because we’re together. So nobody’s going to come between us.”

On jumping in quickly after Isaiah Briscoe was fouled …
“Oh yeah. Because that’s my brother. I gotta have my brother’s back.”

On how Mulder played …
“Mike played great. We need more of that, his 3-point shot, and we just need his intensity.”

On whether he feels like they still have more potential to tap into …
“We feel like we’re getting there. Cal is going to push us every day to be better, so we just gotta be better.”

No comments: