Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Video/Transcript: UK Players Wenyen Gabriel, De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk Post UK 101 vs Cleveland State 70 Bluegrass Showcase Comments


#32 Wenyen Gabriel, F

On the team being unselfish …
“Yeah, we already knew that we were. Every time we score we are congratulating each other. A lot of times we are comfortable passing the ball which wasn’t usual though, because a lot of us come from different high schools where we had to shoot more and when we got here, we started having to pass the ball more which was very enjoyable for all of us.”

On enjoying playing defense …
“Yeah, that’s one of the emphasis on our team here. If you can play good defense it will turn into good offense, which we’re always thinking about.”

On Malik Monk’s play …
“Malik’s a heck of competitor. He’s an athlete. He’s always wanting to play his best, which the team really feeds off of.”

#0, De’Aaron Fox, G

On his thoughts about the game …
“I think we played well. Without Isaiah Briscoe today, people stepped up and we ended up getting the win.”

On being compared to John Wall …
“At this point it happens all the time. It’s a great honor to be compared to a player like that. I’m just trying to out there and play my best.” 

On his thoughts about having more assists in the first five games than Tyler Ulis did last year…
“My teammates are just making shots. A lot of the time, it is just throwing it to Malik (Monk) or Mike (Mulder) and they’re making the 3. I also throw it low to Bam (Adebayo) and he’s dunking it, and I throw a lot of lobs. It hasn’t been hard to get assists.”

On why he doesn’t shoot his floater …
“I don’t know. I’m not really thinking about anything when I’m going through the paint except not getting a charge. But I am going to get better at it. I’ll get better a picking my shots and choosing my shots.” 

#5, Malik Monk, G

On how not to settle for bad shots …
“You have to feel when it’s right. Cal helps me with it a lot in practice, so I know when to take what shots. It really just depends on the game plan and how the game works itself out.” 

On what he looks for to determine if he will shoot or drive …
“The defender determines that. If he is playing up close you drive, if not you shoot.” 

On having more 3-pointers than any player in UK history in the first five games…
“I didn’t even know; I was just playing basketball. I didn’t know that was possible either. I’m just playing basketball. Like I said, my teammates set me up well and I’m knocking shots down.” 

On his chemistry with De’Aaron Fox …
“It’s crazy, but we just play basketball. We have great chemistry. Although we never played that much together we always know where we are on the court. That’s another thing that makes the team so close.”

No comments: