Sunday, December 18, 2016

Transcript: UK Hoops Players Evelyn Akhator, Alyssa Rice, Jaida Roper Post UK Hoops 59 vs Radford 36 Comments

#13, Evelyn Akhator, Sr., F

On rebounding against Radford and dealing with their size… 
“Yes, in our first three losses those teams rebounded a lot better than us. So this week we worked on rebounding. I knew last week that I could have done better with my rebounding, so we worked on that.”

On the team’s energy and how it’s inspiring…
“One thing is that we really love each other, so we have to be there for our team. When somebody is down we just have to pick them back up. That really helps us to come together as a team. We see someone falling on the floor we gather together to pick that person up. When we see someone diving on the floor we all get hype and want to do better.”

#45, Alyssa Rice, So., C

On pushing the ball inside and playing through bigs…

“We just know that the guards did a great job with that this game with getting the ball inside because we know that was something that we have been working on. Just using it to our advantage because it’s a high percentage shot inside and it opens up our guards outside. The guards did a great job at that today.”

On her confidence with the development of her game…
“Just having the support of my teammates and coaches of pushing me and telling me just to keep at it. I have been building that confidence each and every game, because last year I didn’t have the non-conference season to build that confidence. Having this season and being able to work through each game has helped me with coming along as well as the support from my coaches and teammates.”

On what she thought of the players off the bench today…
“I think Paige (Poffenberger) did a great job. We rely on our bench a lot even when it comes to their energy. We feed off that. When things can be down, like our shots not falling, that energy just coming from the bench really helps our team and it keeps us going. We definitely need that to continue on through the season.”

#32, Jaida Roper, Fr., G

On her first start…
“It was a good time for me to set up, get some more minutes and play hard. Just trying to do what Taylor (Murray) does. She really helped me with motivational talks. She is a really big help.”

On her mentality getting ready to start this game after only averaging nine minutes per game…
“I had multiple talks with the coaches. You know, they told me to go out there and work hard and if I got tired just to let them know. They said they would get me out then get me back in. In my head, it was just to do my job: go out there and play hard, play hard defense and try not to turn the ball over. I had a lot of help from talk and the other guards.”

No comments: