Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Transcript: UK Hoops Players Makayla Epps, Evelyn Akhator, Maci Morris Post UK Hoops 69 vs Washington State 67 Comments

#25 Makayla Epps, Sr., G

On what changed in the game…

“We were just all talking about it. We feel like Washington State had 11 turnovers in the first quarter, so it was a very awkward quarter for them. We came out swinging. I told them at halftime that the energy dropped and the hustle dropped and some of the effort dropped. It’s hard. We are human. We are kids. It was a real gutty performance. We had to gut it out. Without Taylor (Murray), we had to step up big. We won the game by two points, so a win is a win.”

On the reliance on Taylor Murray…
“Yeah, that is definitely the mentality. When we found out she wasn’t playing, we were like, ‘Oh.’ Taylor just adds a whole different excitement to our style of playing. She gets in there and gets steals and shoots out like a rocket. She goes for about 15 points a game, so it is just a different dynamic. I had to move to mainly the point guard again, and playing off the ball. Everybody had to step up big for Taylor.”

On if she knew Washington State had the lead…
“Yeah, they had a big three. Really close team. They have a lot of international kids, which you don’t really see a lot. They are known for shooting 3s and hitting 3s. It was a dog fight until the end. We knew we would have to gut it out and make a couple more plays, get another basket, get another stop and that is what it came down to.”

#13 Evelyn Akhator, Sr., F

On making her two free throws…

“Oh, we needed that. We have really been working on that.”

#4 Maci Morris, G

On if going into the break with a win helps the mentality of the team…

“Definitely. We were talking about how we had to get this win. We want to go into our break happy. We don’t want to be drained of energy and moping around. I’m glad we got the win, and we just have to come back and do what we do.”

On running out of gas after Washington State had a one-point lead…
“Honestly, I didn’t even see the score.”

On how her finger is doing…

“It’s good. I think I just dislocated it, but we don’t know yet. I think it’s ok.”

On getting free throws and knowing she had to get that stop…
“I was really upset with myself because I don’t miss free throws like that. That is one thing I know I will make is a free throw. I was really disappointed in myself for that. I knew I needed that stop because I did not want them to score the winning points on me.”

No comments: