Thursday, December 15, 2016

Video/Transcript: UK Players Sacha Killeya-Jones, Bam Adebayo Pre-North Carolina ~ CBS Sports Classic Press Conference Interview


Video courtesy of kywildcatstv

#1, Sacha Killeya-Jones, Freshman, F

On if he knows any of the North Carolina players …
“Oh yeah, definitely. I played pick-up with a lot of those guys and everything before I committed. I definitely know a lot of them.”

On if he knows anyone for UNC better than others …
“I wouldn’t say anybody individually. I know most of those guys over there.”

On how much pressure he faced to go to UNC coming out of high school …
“There’s definitely a little bit of influence to go over there just being from around there and growing up around the program. But I didn’t go to high school in North Carolina so I guess that kind of alleviated some of it. There was also pressure in state in Virginia, too. But in Chapel Hill, there’s definitely a little pressure to go over there.”

On if the game against UNC means more to him being from North Carolina …
“It’s definitely a big game for me. It’s just kind of going full circle, watching them play when I was younger and everything. I wouldn’t say it’s a huge rivalry game. UNC-Kentucky, it’s definitely a matchup, play our hardest, but it’s not a huge rivalry, I wouldn’t say.”

On if he was a UNC fan growing up …
“A little bit. When I first moved down to North Carolina from New Jersey I was. And then I was kind of back and forth between them and Duke and Rutgers being from New Jersey.”

On when he moved to North Carolina from New Jersey …
“Around 6 or 7.”

On this UNC team …
“I think they’re a good team. They always have a pretty good team. Pretty fast. I think it should be a good game.”

On if his role may be bigger in this game with the Tar Heels being as big as they are …
“I’m not sure. Whatever it is and whenever I’m needed to be out there, I’ll be out there and I’ll be ready to go.”

On if he did anything differently against Hofstra …
“I was just trying to go out there and play as hard as I can every time. Just stay out there and do what they’re telling me to do. I think I just went out there and played as hard as I could and good things happened.”

On where he’s improved this season …
“Just playing throughout the system and everything. Not even really a system. Just doing what the coaches need me to do at the right time, and playing smarter.”

On what strides Bam Adebayo has made in his game …
“His post game has gotten a lot better since he’s been here. You see him making moves down there, confident and everything, shooting jump hooks with both hands. He’s definitely gotten a lot better.”

On if Coach Cal has been able to implement the bigger lineup he’s talked about in practice …
“We definitely work with a lot of different lineups in practice. We’ve gone to bigger lineups and smaller lineups too. Just working on trying different things.”

On UNC junior guard Joel Berry II …
“He’s definitely a good player. He’s a good floor general and everything. He plays really smart.”

On the neutral site games and what they’ve gained from that …
“You just see the other part of basketball with the neutral site. It’s not really like a home advantage or anything like that. Everyone wants to see good basketball and that’s what we try to do.”

On his relationship with the UNC coaching staff …
“I talked with all the coaches there and they’re all great guys and everything. It was definitely cool to be recruited, but I felt like I had to come here and make the best decision for me and my family.”

On comparing Kentucky fans and North Carolina fans …
“I would say Kentucky fans are definitely more dedicated and everything and loyal to their team. I think Carolina fans are great and everything, but Kentucky is just like nothing else in the world.”

On if Coach Cal is pushing rebounding hard in practice …
“Definitely. That’s been one of the main focuses in practice the past couple weeks, especially this week.”

On what it means to him when Coach Cal says he’s “not ready yet” …
“Just keep working hard, get in better shape and do what he tells me to do.”

#3, Bam Adebayo, Freshman, F

On whether he seriously considered North Carolina …
“I don’t know that. I ended up at Kentucky and that’s all that matters.”

On how much UNC recruited him …
“They started recruiting my sophomore year and then from then on they were pretty hard on me.”

On how the early season has prepared the team for what’s next …
“Cal just telling us take every game serious and every moment serious because you can never get those moments back.”

On whether games like this are different than others …
“No. We take every game the same. We come out with the same energy, the same intensity. We just play hard throughout every game.”

On UNC’s rebounding …
“We just gotta block out and rebound. That’s pretty much it.”

On whether Cal has been focusing on rebounding …
“Yeah, but not just because of that. Just to make us better as a team and get us better.”

On how well he knows UNC’s players …
“I know a lot of them because they recruited me and also because some of them are from Carolina. So I know a good, decent amount.”

On whether he texts with the guys he knows this week …
“Nah. I don’t communicate with the opposing team.” [Laughter]

On which of UNC’s players he’s faced …
“Well, I actually played with Seventh Woods on my AAU team and I played with Theo (Pinson). I played Tony (Bradley) when we were at Jordan Brand and McDonald’s.”

On Tony Bradley …
“I think he’s a good player. I think everybody’s a great player if you’re in college, you’re at a big-time school – I think you’re a great player.”

On the biggest thing this team has to improve on …
“Everything. We’re working on everything. We’ve just gotta let the pieces fall together and we gotta get better.”

On whether big-time matchups are easier to get up for …
“We take every game as serious. We just go out there, play hard and just see where the ball goes.”

On whether facing the nation’s leading rebounder was motivating …
“I take on every person I play against as a challenge. It’s not just only him. I just try to get the most rebounds a game as possible and make sure my man doesn’t.”

On whether he’s been to Las Vegas and what he expects …
“I’ve been to Vegas a couple times, but just going there with all my teammates, it’s going to be a fun opportunity.”

On guarding a guard on a switch …
“Just make sure he doesn’t score.”

On it being a challenge to guard a guard …
“Yeah. I got more length than him, so I’m just hoping he takes a jump shot and I can contest.”

On the difficulty of facing a deep frontcourt like Carolina’s …
“You just gotta play hard and play together. The matchup shouldn’t matter.”

No comments: