Saturday, January 07, 2017

Video/Transcript: UK Players Bam Adebayo, De’Aaron Fox, Derek Willis Post UK 100 vs Texas A&M 58 Press Conference Interview


Video courtesy of kywildcatstv

#3, Bam Adebayo, Freshman, Forward


On being inspired by Arkansas’ physical play … 
“We’re like brothers so we take up for each other. It brings us closer because nobody is going to come between us. We just fought harder. “

On Arkansas trying to agitate the team … 
“They were just playing physical. I mean it was just ticky-tacky stuff. We kept level heads and we came out with the W.”

On De’Aaron Fox’s performance tonight …
“They started pressing him and we were like, why would you press Fox? So, after that he just started shooting layups and you’re not going to tell him to stop. We just started cheering him on and we said ‘Keep going.’ We all just looked at each other and smiled. We might smile, then after that we tell Fox to just go. We just say go.”

#0, De’Aaron Fox, Freshman, Guard

 
On picking up the slack in scoring with Malik Monk struggling to find his rhythm … 
“I wouldn’t consider it slack. Even if he isn’t making shots, teams are still going to guard him. So, I guess it would be using him as a decoy. When things aren’t going his way and then it would turn into one-on-one with my defender and I think I won that battle a lot.”

On doing extra work with Coach Payne …
‘”You just have to see it. You have to see it to see me and Coach Payne’s relationship. I have been in the gym a lot more. I started making free throws again. I was efficient today and I think it was due to me practicing more. There is a lot of conditioning in those workouts, so today I was never tired and I think it showed.”

On why he’s good at the free-throw line and some days not…
“I don’t know. It has been a roller coaster this year. (I) just hope we’re going up more than we’re going down.”

On Derek Willis’ play making the offense flow …
“It’s ridiculous. He is another guy that can stretch the floor out. We know they’re going to guard Malik (Monk) and Isaiah (Briscoe) is making shots. It helps me out. It helps Bam (Adebayo) out if anything it helps Isaiah out, just driving the lanes and being able to kick for easy baskets. Not having to put my body on the line going up. I can just pass it to Derek knowing that he will making easy shots.”
 

#35, Derek Willis, Senior, Forward


On his defensive effort …
“There were a couple lapses, just like any game, that I had. I think at the beginning, during the first series, I missed some balls I could’ve gotten – rebounds. That kind of got on my nerves and I tried to pick it up defensively. I just hit some shots and asserted myself offensively.”

On what got him out of his shooting slump …
“I feel like all shooters go through a slump of some sort. That’s just where I was trying to play better defense and rebound and focus on that while I came out of it. Tonight I felt comfortable shooting. I’ve been doing different things – getting in the gym more, trying to get more shots up, and try not to fall back.”

On if he’s more relaxed when he’s in a rhythm shooting …

“It’s just getting into the flow of the game. I feel like I was so focused on playing defense and rebounding and trying to do those things right, which I’ve improved on a lot, that it takes from your offensive game a little bit. I was working a lot harder than I ever have on defense. I think it could’ve been a little bit of conditioning where my legs weren’t really used to it and it affected my shot or reverted back to old habits. It’s just being in the gym more and being more comfortable.”

No comments: