Sunday, February 19, 2017

Video/Transcript: UK Hoops Players Evelyn Akhator, Maci Morris, Taylor Murray Post UK Hoops 67 vs Florida 48 Press Conference Interview


#13 Evelyn Akhator, F

On how much energy helped in the third quarter … 

“It does help a lot, especially when one of my teammates like (Alyssa) Rice or Maci (Morris) gets a charge. That really helps us. Also, and-one plays. That really gets up fired up and its jazzes our team.” 

On her career at UK nearing an end …
“It is something that I have to think about, but I know there are few games left. But now I just need to think about all the games for my teammates because right now I am still here and I just have to think about my team and everybody else. I will (think about it more) when it is time to think about it.” 

On what parts of her game she wants to continue to improve on …
“I think like I was talking to my coach about. I need to work on my ball handling and also my shot. I need to bring my game out. I want to have more chances to do it on the court while we play but right now they need me more on the block. After the season, I plan on working on my ball handling and my shot more.” 

On slowing down Ronni Williams …
“Like you said, she leads the SEC in scoring so one thing we thought about is we shouldn’t let her get the ball. As a team, when she was on the court we said that she was not going to get to the basket. That is one thing that we did as a team.” 

#4 Maci Morris, G

On what went right in the third quarter…

“At halftime we just talked that we needed to get more movement on the offense and I feel like we did that and we started going into E. Evelyn just, when she had the ball she just executed or she made great passes out. Usually when we get the ball to Evelyn we start clicking a lot better. Defensively, we just knew we had to communicate a little bit better and we wanted to extend the lead and I feel like we did that.”

On what parts of her individual game she’s working on with the season winding down…
“Just my ball handing and being able to be more consistent with my shooting. And then I can always work on my defense and just being able to bring more to the team next year, especially losing Evelyn and Epps. They bring so much to our team, so me, Tay and everyone just have to step up their game next year.”

On how aware she was of Makayla Epps as a player growing up…
“Oh, of course. We actually played in the same AAU program, so I got to see her play in the summer and you just love watching Makayla play. I loved watching Makayla play when I was in high school. I mean, obviously you heard all about her because her dad played here and then her coming up and coming to Kentucky. So, yeah, I loved Makayla’s game. She’s taught me so much. It’s just been a joy playing with her.”

On what it is about Makayla’s game that makes her special…“She just, she’s a team player. You know, a lot of people think she might be selfish but she does what she needs to do to help us win. She’s all the time being less involved and she actually gets pretty mad when we don’t take shots because she wants the assist. She just brings so much energy even if it’s not even her making the play, if one of us makes the play, she’s bringing so much energy and she’s celebrating. So, it’s just great to play with her.”

#24 Taylor Murray, G

On what went right in the third quarter…

“We got stops and were able to push in transition which allowed us to get a bigger lead, and we were just staying focused and running our sets.”

On what the issues were in the second quarter…
“There was just some things that we weren’t sure about, so we just had to talk and it was just us as players we needed to communicate with one another and let us know there may be something we didn’t switch over or we didn’t hear our teammates. So, we just cleared it up whether it was like a dead ball or just us as teammates coming together.”

On what parts of her individual game she’s working on with the season winding down…
“Individual game, shooting and just like Evelyn said, being more of a factor and taking my game more inside, and she said outside, but just being more of a factor and hitting open shots.”

On if she was aware how many assists she had …
“I wasn’t aware of how many assists I had, I was just trying to make the open play. One of the things that our coaches were telling us was to drive and we drove and we had players that were open. When I drive and they are open, I am going to pass it.” 

No comments: