Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Video/Transcript: UK Player Isaiah Briscoe, Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins Post UK 73 vs Vanderbilt 67 Game Comments Press Conference Interview ~ Senior Night


Video courtesy of kywildcatstv

#13, Isaiah Briscoe, Sophomore, G

On his thumb …

“I’m fine. I’ll be alright.” 

On the come back after being down by so much …
“We can handle adversity. This team has a lot of fight and not one time in the huddle any of us ever thought that we were going to lose the game. You know we all kept our heads high. Coach kept on encouraging us, and when it got down to the end, and it was time to really win, I think we all came together as a team.” 

On why he thinks the team started off slow …
“I don’t think we started off slow, but we were missing shots and they were making shots. That happens. We always tell each other they’re not going to continue to make shots like this the whole game. Just keep fighting and keep fighting and we came out with the win.” 

On if this game is a big learning experience …
“Absolutely because we’re going to have, we’re going to play games in the SEC tournament, NCAA tournament where a team comes out on fire and we’re down quick ten, quick twelve, maybe even 19 like today. It’s how we come back in the game and how we continue to fight and our will to win. We showed it tonight.” 

#35, Derek Willis, F

On why propose on senior night…
“I was trying to figure out the right time to do it and with our busy schedules we don’t have that much free time. I figured this would be an important enough day since it’s a big moment for the both of us being senior night. I just wanted to share it with everyone. 

On Coach Cal’s reaction after he told him about the proposal…
“He thought it was awesome and told me congratulations. He was really happy for me. 

On what girlfriend (Keely Potts) said to him … 
“She was pretty nervous and asked me if I was serious. I said well yeah. She was nervous and has been emotional all week since it’s senior night. When I went to put the ring on her finger her hands were shaking and I asked if she could just keep them still for a second because I was nervous to put it on too. It was a pretty cool moment for me and it meant a lot. I’m really happy right now and I’m glad I could share it with everyone in Rupp Arena.” 

On asking her dad… 
“Yeah, I had to ask him. It was pretty cool. John [Potts] and I are very laid back people and that family did a lot for me over the years. They helped me get through a lot of different things. 

On his emotions for the night… 
“It just meant a lot to me. The adrenaline is still running so it probably won’t hit me until I’m back in the house—that’s how it usually is for me. I was just trying to stay in the moment. I had a game to play and a duty to play basketball and win but I was also focused on making this day special for my girlfriend and me.” 

On having one big shot …
“Yeah, it was one of those nights where shots weren’t falling for us in the first half. We started off slow and their players got some open threes. We just had to play through it. We have games like that but everything is getting us ready for tournament time and that’s what it all comes down to.” 

On the whole experience, being one of the few to make it to 4 years…
“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I feel like I have experienced every aspect of life. Every negative thing and a majority of the positive things too. It is has defined me as a man and the way I carry myself until this day including the way I do things. Like I said, I can’t help Coach Cal enough and the coaching staff for what they did for me. They helped mold me into a great young adult as well as my parents, the people I’ve met and the people I keep around me. I can’t thank them enough, it’s been great here and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. “

On how long he planned the proposal… 
“I had it in the back of my mind for a while. I just wanted it to be in the right moment and I wanted it to be special and a surprise type thing. I figured this would be good enough and it was just the right time.”

#25, Dominque Hawkins, G

On Kentucky being 19 down in the first half…

“To be honest, I didn’t even know that we got 19 down. I was just out there playing and once we got on the run, I just felt like, I thought we was already cut the lead down to two but I think we were down by eight or nine. Everybody just came together at the end and was able to make big stops and big plays.”

On how Kentucky has progressed to close the last few games near the end of the second half…
“Oh, it is big. I remember early when we wasn’t making plays like that. Coach always got on us on not turning the ball over the last four minutes of the game and stuff. I think we might have one turnover with five or four to play but I think we played good down the stretch.”

On his senior ceremony…“It was great. It was great. I wasn’t really emotional. I thought I would probably be a little emotional but I was just really happy about it. It has been a great four years here and I am glad I am able to end it with a win.” 

On Willis’ senior night proposal…
“That’s awesome for him. I didn’t know that he was going to propose in Rupp but I knew that he would probably be doing it soon because of how they love each other.” 

On Kentucky’s defensive presence against the guards of Vanderbilt…
“Not the most athletic of guards but they are very smart with the floor. They definitely have the pressure that makes you feel uncomfortable. They can shoot the ball and they make great passes when they have the ball as well.” 

No comments: