Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Video/Transcript: Video: Vanderbilt Head Coach Bryce Drew, Player Luke Kornet Post - UK 73 vs Vanderbilt 67 Game Comments ~ Senior Night



Vanderbilt Head Coach Bryce Drew

Opening statement … 

“Really proud of our team. Thought we came in for the first 35 minutes and really played at a great pace for us on offense and defense. I thought we were able to keep them out of transition in the first half and the start of the second half. I think when things started to slip away is when they picked up their pressure. I think we had 18 turnovers and I think they had 17 points off turnovers in the second half and we couldn’t get back and get 5-on-5 defense. Kentucky is probably the best transition team in the country. I thought Luke (Kornet) was sensational today. He hit a lot of 3’s, contested a lot of shots. I thought he had more than one block, but he did a tremendous job for us giving us the lead and then keeping that lead and giving us a chance to win it at the end.” 

On how ball handling was an issue … 
“I thought our point guard play was good. I thought Payton Willis had a great first half. I thought Riley Lachance – he only had two turnovers. A lot of our turnovers came maybe driving to the basket, couple charges, couple deflections and like Luke said, Kentucky is very long and athletic and they came at us. I was happy. I thought we attacked the pressure sometimes and we just have to be able to once we break it, get into halfcourt sometimes and then still be solid with the ball during the clock.”

On Derek Willis’ play tonight … 
“Willis does a good job of spreading the floor for them. You have to be aware where he is on the court an you have to keep a man open close to him, which then opens up guys to drive and get to the rim. So, maybe even though his stats aren’t as high as some other guys, he’s a very significant part of their team, we feel. Monk is just a tremendous talent. You can take away the 3, but then he can drive. You can take away the drive, and he’ll hit 3’s. He does a great job finishing in transition. You know he’s going to score points. We didn’t want to give him those 10 free throws. We wanted to keep him off the line, but he does a great job getting there.”

On what went into the UK comeback … 
“I think there were a lot of factors in it. Obviously, I saw us around the 10 minute mark Luke was getting a little tired so we tried to get him in and out. Kentucky did a good job of keeping the pressure on us and Luke is such a big part of our press break with handling the ball. I was scared with him on the bench they could cut the lead very quickly and take the lead and so we wanted to give those guys media timeouts to hopefully give those guys enough time to rest so that they could finish and play most of those minutes. Kentucky is going to make runs. I think a key possession was about the two-minute mark. We had a 3 to take the lead and we missed it and they went down and scored and took the lead. I think that 3 was really a big possession kind of with the momentum the rest of the game.”

On what the NCAA Selection Committee should take into account for Vandy’s NCAA bid … 
“At the end of the day, we need to get some more wins. We were close tonight but Kentucky did a great job in that final stretch and we have another great opportunity on Saturday and hopefully we learn from some of the things tonight and be able to execute a little better at the end of the game.” 

Vanderbilt Student-Athletes

#3, Luke Kornet, F

On what happened in the last 5 minutes of the game…
 
“I don’t think fatigue was an issue. I think we struggled executing and creating the same spacing as well as making that extra pass that we were in the first half. Defensively we just struggled to get stops and that was the big difference between when we played well in the game and when they made their runs. It was just about being able to get back and do a better job contesting shots and keeping them away from the rim and offensive rebounding” 

On why UK’s pressure bothered them the way it did…
“I think that for most part of the game we did a pretty good job against it. They have a fast and athletic team and they are long and anytime you play teams like that they certainly are capable of pressuring and that makes it difficult. I think it just rushes you up a little bit and people struggle with missing a pass by a little bit or just getting the ball tipped by a little bit. That is all it takes for the ball to get turned over and that’s just what happened today”

On how the performance may show people how well they have been playing…
“It is pretty indicative of how we have been playing the last couple of games. I feel like we should have been able to finish it out. Defensively we have been better in the previous games especially towards the end of the game. I think in that aspect we didn’t really resemble ourselves but I think for 35 minutes of the game we came out and played the way we are capable of playing and have been for the last several games. I think it was a pretty good showing of our team for those 35 minutes”

On… getting booed after elbowing Briscoe…
“He came up on me and I really just tried to move the ball to the other side. I don’t throw elbows, that isn’t something I was trying to do. It just happened and I wasn’t trying to do anything intentionally but I understand it can look that way. I was just trying to move the ball to the other side and drive and if I caught him it wasn’t anything intentional, it happens”

No comments: